Where is Upper Columbus?
Why this name?
Upper Columbus's name is appropriate because most of it sits at a higher elevation than downtown Columbus. Besides Franklinton, most of Upper Columbus was once called Sullivant's Hill.
In the 1870s, Sullivant's Hill was renamed "The Hilltop." After "Hill," the name "Hilltop" was the most generic name possible. Ask yourself, "which name sounds classier, Sullivant's Hill or The Hilltop?
Why would they want a generic name?
There is no recorded explanation why Mayor George W. Meeker changed the name when he annexed Franklinton and Sullivant Hill's eastern ridge in 1870. That happened several days before the Vampire Bat-based Columbus Lunatic Asylum (built to keep everyone scared away from the secret projects under and behind it) broke ground.
It appears the name was changed so that the several hundred Union Army guards (stationed at Camp Chase) who guarded the underground "Sullivant's Hill Weapons Factory," or the 1500 or so Ohio State convicts, who built it, would not be reminded of it every time they heard the hill's new name.
That name change also happened as the abandoned factory was being readied for electrified, by President Ulysses S. Grant so that it could be used to house most of the country's secret programs and agencies.