The Legend of Sullivant's Hill:
Here is the Video of America's First Underground Spy Complex
America's Deepest Secret 1878-1929
In 1878, the United States was the only nation producing light bulbs, safety elevators, ventilation fans, telephones, advanced electrical systems, most of the planet’s locomotives, plus thousands of other independent inventions.
The keepers of America's secrets, Secretary of War, Alexander Ramsey, and a Mr. X, the Secret Service's director, realized that a combination of these fantastic new inventions would suddenly allow extensive underground facilities, to function as practically as visible buildings.
They took this concept to President Rutherford B. Hayes:
“Our nation's wonderful rights and freedoms have created a ruthless group of industrial dictators, who pay attorneys to bribe officials, and hoodlums, to eliminate everything else in their way."
"Since the Secret Service opened in 65, it has publically operated as presidential guards, and badge carrying constables chasing counterfeiters."
"So our agents are far too identifiable to penetrate these criminal operations."
"The Service needs a new secret branch, publically operating as something benign. This way, we can get unknown agents inside these tyrant's organizations, to thwart their evil intentions before they strike.”
President Hayes agreed.
Since the Secret Service already ran four 'public' offices in the country's largest eastern cities, and a fifth in San Francisco, they decided to hide this underground facility near the center of America's quickly expanding web of railroads. From here, they could dispatch these truly undercover agents around the country, most rapidly.
Hayes had the Mathematics Department of Washington University study this. Instead of sharping their pencils they checked with Washinton's Union Station, and discovered that Central Ohio was the center of the nation's railroads:
“From Columbus's Union Station, passengers reach 25 of the nation's 28 largest towns, in less than one day.”
President Hayes was also born and raised in Central Ohio. After being wounded five separate times in Civil War battles, he became a Northern hero and rapidly rose to the ranks of Union General.
General Hayes served some of his time at a Union Army base on Sullivant's Hill (now Columbus's Hilltop), called Camp Chase.
As president fifteen years later (1878), he recalled the charred remains of a chicken farm, which operated briefly during the Civil War, (just west of Camp Chase) that was destroyed in 1863 by an insane recruit who accessed a cannon.
Because of the embarrassing national press this incident received, President Lincoln ordered the Department of War (now called the State Department) to buy this land from the farmer, for well above its undamaged value.
Fifteen years later, Hayes noticed that those untouched ruins were still on federal government books.
Because the most frightening building ever built in the USA, the Columbus Lunatic Asylum sat in-between these farm ruins and the city, this site stayed very secluded.
This 14 tower stone monstrosity hovered over Columbus's western horizon, like the Wicked Witch's castle did over Oz, only this asylum was real, and likely 50 times larger.
Ohio's superintendent of Lunatics and Imbesials, Dr. William Awl, had this asylum designed as the architectural version of a vampire bat.
When it opened in 1877, it was not only the largest lunatic asylum ever built; it was the largest building on planet earth (square footage under one roof)!
That batlike shape is no symbol; it was the shape of this asylum from above.
Because most citizens refused to approach it, and the farm bordered a railroad track, it was the ideal location for Orphan's secret facility.
Over the Secret Service had erased, rewritten, or burned up, every written reference (or map), that mentioned this site. However, Hayes' biggest remaining problem was explaining why the government needed a train station in these boondocks, several miles away from anything else.
(For more on erasing Sullivant's Hill's history, read this (2/1/1879) article from the Columbus Dispatch; "Burning the Records.")
Two years later (March 1881), several weeks after President James A. Garfield (also from Ohio, and another general who served at Camp Chase), replaced Hayes as president, he appointed Him as director of a brand new federal service:
The National Orphan Relief Agency (NORA)
"NORA will provide emergency medical care for America's poor orphan children, after suffering severe injuries, which happens far too often in our nation's many dangerous new factories," Garfield proclaimed.
Hayes' first assignment: "Build the 'National Hospital for Orphan Children,' at a central location so we can rescue these poor parentless babies by train, as rapidly as possible."
Because passenger trains were slowed by having to stop at many stations along their routes, Hayes and Garfield decided that NORA needs exclusive "Orphan Ambulance Trains," to rescue these poor parentless babies to Columbus, non-stop.
Two months after construction started (in 1881), a 37,000 square foot, tin-sided wood post building, called the Orphan Ambulance Garage, was already operating a few hundred feet north of the tracks.
This garage came first to hide all the equipment, materials, construction workers, and engineers, coming and going, without anyone outside noticing.
Ten months later, NOMA's dinky hospital for orphan children, at 1/4th the size of its orphan ambulance garage, opened about 150 feet to its north.
While Thomas Edison's engineers were secretly installing Orphan's steam-powered Direct Current (D/C) electrical system under Sullivant's Hill, he met with Hayes, at his Manhatten laboratory.
There he introduced Hayes to a fantastic young inventor that he had recruited for a working visit from Croatia.
His name was Nicola Tesla.
After Edison left his office to break up a fistfight between engineers, Hayes asked Tesla for his thoughts about developing trains that could maximize rail speed, "so NOMA can rapidly rescue America's severely injured orphan babies."